Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Fun with salt water

I had a foray into the teaching of earth science today. The students are learning about oceanography, so I did a demo on how waters with different densities interact in a graduated cylinder and included a bit about some other things with different densities. The red water is heavily salted, blue water is fresh. I had never done anything like this before, so I just crossed my fingers and hoped that it would work.







They thought the demo was cool and a few asked some really good questions e.g. isn't that what happens when a river flows into the ocean, like the fresh water sits on top of the salt water? I gave them the example of a lake fed river running into a glacier fed river and how you see separation of the water at the confluence.

No comments:

Post a Comment